Thursday, September 3, 2009

Episode 9- What is this 6 a.m. that you speak off?



I really don't know how people do it- wake up at 6 a.m. every day. Some people even wake up at 6 a.m. and do shit like go to the gym, or dig holes at construction sites. Impossible.

Today is the first day that I am home with my daughter all day, and I knew "all day" meant early, but I don't think I was prepared for this. Hell, it is only 11:27 and I feel like it should be dinner time.

I knew that there was a time called 6 a.m. I vaguely remember waking up at that time for special occasions like long trips, or to grab a spot at the 4th of July parade when I was like, 12, with my Dad.

I have probably seen 6 a.m. from the other side a bit more often. "Holy shit, it is 6 a.m. I have to go to sleep. I have class in three hours." Or worse, "I have work in three hours." Just thinking about it makes me want to throw up.

I never had to wake up that early as a reporter, hell, I worked at a place where my boss didn't come in until 11. That 8:30 a.m. start up time was a mere suggestion. As long as you were in the office at some point and you managed to get your three stories in to the folder, so one asked any questions. For two and a half years my 8:30-4:30 was usually more like 9:30-4.

I understand why a 7-month-old with no internal clock can be up at 6, but there is no excuse for adults. This is painful. I am literally in pain. I want to punch every gym teacher I have ever had that bragged about waking up before the sun.

I am sure that it is just because I am not used to it yet, but I am finding out that there is surprisingly little to do with a baby.

We go for walks, make faces at each other, crawl around on the floor, and the ever popular, look in the mirror and yell YAAAAAAYYYYY! Gets a laugh every time. But as far as "playing" goes, there is very little for me to do other than supervise. We literally interact through a series of faces and loud noises, its not like we can whip out Jenga.

I am having trouble filling the gaps after she gets bored. Av is not much of a napper, so we are only good for about one of those today, and I risk overfeeding her if I keep trying to shovel Gerber in to her mouth whenever I am bored.

The main problem is that babies are in no way self-sustaining, so in order for me to do things like take a shower, eat food or clean my apartment, she must be asleep. When she is awake, I must entertain her, not myself. And she doesn't like chores.

Right now she is parked in front of the TV, chewing on a giant plastic play telephone, watching multi-cultural children with hand puppets sing the ABC's.
This is the essence of the "Baby Einstein" series, something I suspect you will be reading more about here, or in the local news under the headline "Local man has seizure, experts say children's videos to blame"

All in all, I haven't done anything to mess up my kid yet, as far as I know, and sh seems pretty happy to be home with Dad, so that is good. This 6 a.m. crap has to stop though, I am afraid I am going to fall asleep standing up.

Well, we should go now as she has discovered my typing and is now eying the computer keys with that "I HAVE to drool on that!" face, similar to a cat who sees a piece of furniture and says "I HAVE to scratch that!" Same concept.

Babies are surprisingly like cats in a lot of ways. Except cats sleep all day. Babies just toy with you...

No comments:

Post a Comment