Saturday, April 23, 2011

Episode 147: Happy 'Annual Catholic Guilt Weekend!'

Here is an absolutely disgusting video of Av playing with her spaghetti. I would file this one under "shit every kid does and no parent likes." Saves her self with adorable laughter at the end.




...
Easter has once again crept up on some random, nonsensical spring Sunday and the Easter Bunny excitement at our house has begun. She saw him at the mall, gave him a high five, but didn't get her picture taken. Now tells everyone that she thinks he is a "nice guy." She also understands the concept that he will come to our apartment, hide some eggs and leave her candy in a basket. What all of this has to do with Jesus I am not sure, but, hey, it is a hell of a lot better than getting slapped across the face with Catholic guilt because you ate a Snickers bar three days before Lent ended. Or because you ordered a Big Mac instead of a Fillet 'O Fish last Friday. Fact: The Catholic rule of not eating meat on Fridays during Lent was created by a Pope who wanted to stimulate the sagging fishing industry. OK, I'm done.

I never much liked Easter as a kid. Mostly because it is on a different day every year which means I usually didn't see it coming. It also usually signifies the end of April school vacation, which is a huge downer when your a kid trying to party. My mom would never let me give up things like broccoli or vacuuming the living room for lent. It has to be a 'sacrifice' she said. Here I was thinking that waking up before dawn to go to church every Sunday was my self-sacrificial duty.

Av is very excited about the Easter Bunny and that is fun. We will have a lovely day having brunch with family, eating candy, playing with toys and drinking screwdrivers before noon. After all, holidays are about families, day drinking and over indulgence, right? All things I know Jesus would enjoy if he were to drop in on our Easter celebration tomorrow. Jesus seems like he liked to party.

We will also be enjoying 'Resurrection Tacos' for dinner because Sunday is taco night on Roslyn Street and few things in life make me happier than tacos (really). I'll be dammed if I am going to give up my favorite night of the week because society says I have to eat ham.

One final point of clarification. I am not an atheist. I am also not stupid. Religion is man-made. All of them. Show me the book God wrote himself and I'll follow it. Until then, people should probably just try not to fuck one another over. Don't beat people up. Avoid murder, cyber bullying and racism and try not to cheat on your wife with any 17-year-old runaways and God should be happy. And if he isn't, his priorities are seriously out of whack. HAPPY EASTER!
...
This song is about the end of the world. Seems somewhat appropriate in a sick way. Lyrically brilliant. Epic in length and emotional build up. I wish someone in art school would make an interpretive video and post it to Youtube. I don't know anyone in art school. No, Murder By Death is not a metal band.


No comments:

Post a Comment