Monday, April 5, 2010

Episode 63: The first recorded evidence of stink eye

This is the elusive stink eye. Notice how the picture is blurry and a little bit hard to make out? That is because catching the stink eye on camera is about as rare as capturing a glimpse of Sasquatch or the Chupacabra.

Stink eye is new, and there is no telling when it is going to show up. It is usually quick, and it usually leaves the victim in a state of shock. It is mean, ugly, hilarious and completely unexpected all at the same time. How does a 1-year-old develop so much attitude? I have no idea, but she has, and this is what it looks like.

The stink eye is unique because it rarely precedes any sort of fit or problem, it is usually just erroneously hurled my way after I make some sort of idiotic comment, or if I do something that she doesn't approve of. Kind of like she is saying "Dad, you're an idiot and you're getting on my last nerve."

I would say that I get it the most when we are eating lunch- usually because I tell her to stop playing with her food or force her to eat something she doesn't want- or in the morning, when she is pissed that it is me getting her out of bed instead of her mother. Other times I just get it for no reason.

The prospect of the stink eye is frightening to me because this means that the attitude is only going to get worse as she gets older. Judging from the looks I have received in my lifetime from her mother, aunt and grandmother, I can pretty much predict my future, and I am so screwed.

Short post today, Easter was a relative success. She seemed to have a nice time and it was a beautiful day. I don't even think I got the stink eye all day. My apartment is now filled with various stuffed and plastic bunnies, sheep and ducks, as well as a plethora of plastic eggs. She is also currently in the process of throwing a nap time fit while I prepare to, um, lets say 'consolidate' some of her toys, so I am sure that I have a stink eye in my future at some point today as well.

1 comment:

  1. It has always been my belief that baby stink eye is just an attempt to imitate someone who would often offer said look. Try to catch a snapshot of that special look from the mom ... and then compare photos. You'd be amazed.

    ReplyDelete