Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Episode 99: Back by popular demand


I have heard from many of you over the past three weeks telling me how much you miss reading about the adventures of Av and I was surprised to learn just how many people actually read this blog, so I have decided to cut the summer vacation a little bit short. I probably won't keep updating as frequently as I had until September comes along, but I'll hit you with a post here and there in the mean time. Thanks for reading.

We have had quite the relaxing summer here on Roslyn Street with many trips to the beach, a few grill parties and plenty of taco nights, but we have also started to get brave and take Av on some pretty bad ass trips. I really can't believe how much she has grown just since the summer started, not size wise, more mentally. She can say so many more words now and can actually string together sentences, like "Where is Daddy?" which I heard her ask the other morning. Because of this things have become quite a bit more entertaining around here.

I think one of the coolest things about Av is that she has a pretty good sense of humor. It can get pretty fresh at times, but she has an amazing grasp on what sort of things are funny and what sort of things she can do to press our buttons. One day at lunch Monica decided she was going to give her a peach. Always willing to try new foods, Av eagerly slammed it in to her mouth, only to take it right back out, yell 'blech' and throw it at Monica before bursting out in to laughter. Yeah, she is a brat, all right. But she is a funny brat.

Our first real big trip of the summer was to the New England Aquarium, one of my personal favorite spots. We weren't quite sure how Av was going to handle the ride in, but we decided that it would be fun to go ahead and take the subway in to the city so that she could have her first ride on a 'choo choo." Needless to say, that was a big hit. Even before we boarded she was bubbling over with excitement as the outbound trains came in to drop people off. She spent the trip laughing, making noise and trying to socialize with everyone on the crowded train. It was pretty adorable. This is us waiting to come home. Notice the anticipation of the train coming.
The aquarium itself was pretty much what I expected. It was super crowded so it was tough to get around, but the sight of penguins and that giant fish tank in the middle was enough to make Av's head spin around, which was really the only goal. She has become much better at identifying animals, too. Before, everything was just a "ditty" but now she can tell the difference between big dogs and puppies, cats and birds and all sorts of other animals. She knows hippo and elephant (which she identifies by making a hysterical elephant noise)and has even started identifying different modes of transportation. She does not, however, refer to a truck as a 'fuck,' which is something that I am admittedly a little bit disappointed in, especially since I can still vividly remember the first time my litter sister said 'fire fuck' which is still one of the funniest moments of my life.

Anyway, after an hour or so at the aquarium we hit the town, got some city pizza and took the choo choo home. All in all a good day. The same, at least from my perspective, cannot be said for the following week's trip to the Children's Museum. I have fleeting memories of taking a field trip to the Children's Museum as a child, but I couldn't really remember much. It is a good thing, because that place is a rip off. Tucked away in what looks like an old warehouse in South Boston, the place is less of a museum and more of a giant play place for kids. Sure, there is plenty for them to do there, like color, blow bubbles, toss around golf balls, but for $12 a person- including kids- it isn't really worth it considering you can pretty much do everything in and around your house or local parks for free. The place was infested with kids and youth groups and, at least to me, there really wasn't a whole lot of learning going on. It was just a lot of playing. Again, pretty cool if you are a kid, but calling it a museum is false advertising if you ask me.

Still, Av had a good time and got to blow off a lot of steam, and that is really all that matters. We once again had some city pizza (I love city pizza) and went home. Another pretty successful day. See, not a whole lot of material in the summer. Here are some cute pictures to fill your void.

Going in to the city is always tough for me because seeing all of those important work people with suits and brief cases gives me anxiety, but having the baby with me made me realize that I was pretty lucky. That Tom Cruise looking dude at the train station with a suit case may make six figures and be on his way to catch a flight to Chicago to close a huge business deal, but I be he doesn't have a funny little kid making him feel good about himself just for waking up in the morning. I'll get a real job someday and, you know what? I bet I'll hate it just as much as I did the first time around. See, nothing like summer to get your spirits up.

Musicgasm

While the summer has been filled with plenty of activities for family and baby, dad has to have some fun, too, and that is just what he had at the end of July when he finally got to see his favorite band ever, The Black Keys, live in concert. I have debated as to whether or not I wanted to write a review of sorts of the show, but I just watched like three Youtube videos of them playing live and I am now inspired.

First, before I get started, it is important to understand just how important this was to me. The Black Keys are more than just a band that I like. More than just my 'favorite band.' For many reasons, which we won't discuss here, I don't consider myself much of a religious person, but I do believe that God exists and I believe that God exists in music- specifically blues music. Old Mississippi Delta blues moves me in a way I can't even describe, and the Black Keys have been able to recreate that sound with a modern style that triggers pure euphoria in my ears. From their first three albums recorded in various warehouses and basements, providing the most raw blues sound you can get, to their most recent albums with more studio production and varied music styles, they have created a signature sound that is really nothing short of pure sonic emotion. When I listen to the Keys I don't hear two guys playing music, I see two guys who allow the music to flow through their bodies, especially Dan Auerbach, who makes guitar playing look effortless. I affectionately call him the 'rift master' or perhaps you prefer 'The White man who Stole the Blues.'

Enough with the love fest. Up until this show I had never seen the Black Keys live. I have had my opportunities, but something has always come up. One year I had to attend a wedding. One year I was on vacation in Mexico. Two years ago they played one day before Monica's due date so I couldn't bring myself to get tickets. I did get a chance to see Auerbach play live with his other band, The Fast Five, who backed him on his solo project, but had still never seen the Keys until a few weeks ago.

I will start out with two disclaimers. 1: In no way was I sober for any part of this evening's events. 2: Dan Auerbach would have had to pretty much take a shit on the stage for me to not have liked the show. Keep that in mind as you read my review.

First, I want to say that the concert venue took a lot away from the show right from the start. The Bank of America Pavilion is a scenic outdoor concert arena on the South Boston waterfront. It is beautiful and very enjoyable on a hot summer night. It is a great place to see a show if you are in to Lionel Ritchie or James Taylor. It is not a great place to see a loud blues rock band. The set up is way to impersonal ( I hate seeing a show anywhere that has a screen projecting a larger image of the band next to the stage) and the staff pretty much had us on lock down. You stand in front of your seats or you don't go anywhere unless you are walking to and from the bathroom or concessions. the worst part? The show had to end at 10:30 because of the city noise ordinance. Who wants to go to a show that gets out at 10:30? It took a lot away from the show for me, but it wasn't enough to ruin it. Nothing was enough to ruin it. Not even the last-minute fill-in opening act, a band called Symbols eat Guitars, which is easily the worst thing I have ever heard in my life. Sorry if you are in that band or know someone who is, but if that is the case it may be time to call it quits because you suck.

On to the show. The Keys played for a solid two hours, which was awesome, starting out with an hour of older stuff from their first three albums and ending with newer music. The set was great. From the moment that Auerbach played the first notes of 'Thickfreakness' to start the show I was completely moved. It felt like the music had filled up my entire head. It literally overwhelmed me. For the first three songs I stood in front of my seat and didn't move. I didn't dance, I didn't clap, I didn't do anything. I stood in awe, at times fighting off tears, and just watched. As the show went on it became a borderline religious experience. In a few words: They absolutely killed it. I can still hear random guitar rifts, like the solo during 'Stack Shot Billy' which was about the loudest thing I have ever heard, and the haunting simplicity of the guitar in 'Too Afraid to Love You.' Then, just like that, it was over. Just as fast as it started, and for the first time I can ever remember, I was left wanting more.

Usually at a show, even if it is a band I really like, by the end I am ready to go. I'm tired, I'm sweaty, I have heard the songs I liked and I am ready to struggle home. Not so this time around. I could have listened to them play their entire library of music plus a bunch of covers. If I had the means I would fly to wherever they are playing tonight just to see them again. I will not say that this was the best show I have ever seen. The venue and the short set (ok, two hours is a long set, but it was too short for me) leave it just shy of seeing Auerbach and the Fast Five play at the Paradise, a much smaller, indoor club, last year. That is still the best show I have ever been to. But this was close.

Here is a sample video taken by some brave sole with a Flip cam at the show. This is 'Stack Shot Billy.' Youtube does it no justice, but the specific guitar solo from this song continues to haunt me whenever I think of this show. In fact, this performance of this song prevented me from listening to the Keys at all until just a few days ago, because every time I would put it on I would get sad that the show had ended. I'm over than now and I am back to jamming out to them all the time, only now I have taken a liking to their first album for some reason. I'll stop rambling now, as this has nothing to do with my kid. Congratulations if you made it through all of that.



And here is the opening song, Thickfreakness. Just picture me stone-faced looking like I had just seen a ghost, not able to move.



More music
Just to prove to you that I actually listen to something else, here is one of my favorite songs. The artist is Neutral Milk Hotel. His voice sucks, yes, but this is another one of those bands in which God lives within the music.


No comments:

Post a Comment